I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

When a foreign-born person receives their permanent residence card through marriage to a U.S. citizen, they will receive a two-year Conditional Resident card if they have been married for less than two years.

Our office can assist Conditional Residents in removing the conditions on their residence by filing a Petition on their behalf 90 days prior to the expiration of their Conditional Resident card. Both spouses must jointly petition for this benefit, and must demonstrate to the U.S. CIS that they are physically living together and have a real marriage.

In some cases a marriage ends before the required two years are complete, and the Conditional Resident must file a request to “waive” the joint filing requirement with the U.S. CIS.

Once the petition is approved, the Conditional Resident will receive a Permanent Resident card valid for ten years.